The Power of Perfume Featuring Unique Fragrances

Tuesday, June 13, 2017

Weekend by Burberry Flatlay

Dolce by Dolce and Gabbana perfume Flatlay
Acqua Colonia Mandarine and Cardamom Perfume
Sugandhco Perfumes and Attars4711 Nouveau Cologne

“A woman's perfume tells more about her than her handwriting.” 

We’re inclined to agree with Christian and must say that we are a sucker for a good scent.

Sense of smell is probably one of the five senses that is the most primitive and least consciously considered, yet it has a deep impact of human emotions. Scents have a way of staying with you even after the moment has passed. Whether it’s the way a place smelt or a person, perfumes can sometimes be the best mementos for our fondest memories. 

Of late, we've chosen the perfumes we wear more consciously, both in their scent and what they mean to us. Part of this has led to us picking up perfumes during our travels or choosing scents that work for a particular season or mood. While this steadily growing collection does include some big names, many of these are brands and names you likely haven't heard of before. So let's take a trip through.

We'll start with a brand that in the last two decades has found a special place in our hearts. If you’ve ever had a chance to properly visit Lucknow, you’d be familiar with the name Sugandhco. A family owned boutique perfumery, it is an iconic part of the city’s shopping scene and a place our family frequented even long before we were around. Our childhood saw plenty of visits to the little boutique fragrance store to pick up incense for our homes, perfumes for ourselves and gifts for family and friends. 

On my last visit to India, I made sure to pick up some scents to remind me of this cute chapter of our lives. I picked up multiple bottles of Anurag, an attar that smells fresh like the ocean and isn’t overly sweet. Given it’s formulation as an attar, I find it longer lasting than perfume and lacking the ‘chemically’ quality some perfumes can exude. It smells refreshing without being overbearing and has been the topic of multiple compliments over the years that I’ve used it. I also love that this is a way of incorporating an element of our heritage into my day to day and sharing the story of where I got it from every time someone asks.

Apart from the attars, Sugandhco also offers their fragrances in perfume formulas and we picked up two – Ulfat and Noor. Unlike Anurag, both of these scents pack a punch and I keep them aside mostly for special occasions that demand a little extra attention. 

If the beautiful Urdu names weren't enough, they had me at the gorgeous packaging! Something right out of a Mughal dream.


Another favourite brand is 411 cologne. On our recent European holiday, we spent some time in the city of Cologne which got its name from, yes you guessed it, colognes. 411 have staked their claim as one the original cologne creators in the world. The household brand has now also expanded to new fragrance ranges as well as other products. Old as it may be, the original 411 cologne didn't quite appeal to us as much but the same cannot be said for their new ranges. We picked up two and they have been favourites of ours ever since our return:

411 Noveau Cologne, a refreshing take on the original, offering a zesty scent perfect to start off summer days. I especially love that it's not too overpowering and can be layered with other fragrances. This one is perfect or smelling good without irritating your friends who may be more sensitive to perfumes. 


The second perfume we picked up was the Mandarin and Cardamom perfume from the Acqua Colonia range. I've heard that this is a unisex perfume but have also seen it referred to as a male scent. Personally, it smells quite feminine to me without being overtly so. The scent is fresh and fruity but not in a 'bubblegum and fairy floss way'. Also, given that it combines two of my absolutely favourite ingredients, mandarins and cardamom, this was bound to be on the list. I purchased it both in a cologne formula for when I'm wearing it on its own and in in the body mist version to refresh myself during the day or to layer with other fragrances. 


Now onto the names most of you will recognise!

An ideal scent for daily wear is the Georgio Armani Acqua di Gioia. Staying true to its name, I've never before found a fragrance that reminded me so much of the sea. This is a perfect pick for women who don't like excessively floral or fruity scents and are looking for something more subtle.

Weekend by Burberry is another great pick for those looking for a break from floral notes. That's not to say though that it isn't sweet! Simple and straightforward, this is my ideal pick for an autumn or winter day. 

The final perfume to make the list is Dolce by Dolce & Gabbana, my favourite spring pick of the year. While I love wearing this on its own coupled with a fun dress, it's also great for layering with more subtle fragrances like Anurag or even a simple anti-antiperspirant. 

Have you tried any of the above? Let us know in the comments! 

You Might Also Like

9 comments

  1. Great post and product really liked ❤️
    I'd be happy friendship blogs ♥️ Subscribe to your Google
    Julia Shkvo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great perfume selection dear! I agree with you guys, a good perfume is so important and it even shows a bit about your personality. I haven't heard about Sugandhco before but it sounds lovely. Dolce is indeed such a cute fragrance for spring! One of my favorite fragrances ever is also perfect for this time of the year: Miss Dior. <3
    xx

    www.stylebydeb.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this <3
    thanks for sharing, bisous

    http://gallech.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm a perfume junkie and this post is very interesting! Thanks for sharing!
    xx
    cvetybaby.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've never tried these! They all sound so wonderful! Great post!

    http://roadesque.com
    http://ourruins.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love that you've included some lesser known perfume brands that you've discovered on your travels. I think there's always something really magical about a scent that brings back a memory of a place :)

    Rachel xx
    http://www.thedailyluxe.net

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have not tried any of those perfumes - but they sound amazing. I love the idea of having a perfume to remind you have specific chapter of your life (such as your time in India). Smell can provoke so many memories. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love that perfumes can evoke such strong memories and take us back to a particular time in our lives. One of my favourite perfumes for this is Jo Malone Blackberry and Bay which makes me feel like it is Christmas as soon as I smell it :) x

    ReplyDelete
  9. These are all such amazing scents! I love the Giorgio Armani one - one of my faves!
    xo
    Siffat
    http://icingandglitter.com

    ReplyDelete