Hidden Gem in Mysore: Venugopala Swamy Temple

Saturday, December 05, 2015




If you read our last post on Mysore, you may recall the mention of a little hidden gem we promised we had in store for you. This gem was of the religious sort and was tucked away behind a quaint village not far from Mysore.

As a practicing Hindu, I adore going to temples for their lively and vibrant atmosphere. I love the priests chanting, the strong fragrance of incense that hangs heavily in the air, the constant ringing of bells and the colorfully decorated deities that take center stage. Strangely enough, I never fail to find a sense of calm among all the hustle and bustle.

Now to return to the subject at hand. On our way back from Mysore we made a little detour to a temple not too far away from Brindavan Gardens. This particular place was lacking in all the aforementioned departments yet managed to have the same magnetic affect. The temple in question, was being built by the Kaveri river backwaters and being still in its last stages of construction was free of large crowds (a welcome sight after the chaos of Mysore or the rest of India for that matter). Due to language barriers I was told two versions of the story that was behind the temple. The first, the temple has been underwater and they had hunted down and restored back on land. The second, there is a temple underwater and they are building a replica of it on land. In either case, I was firmly vested in this fairy tale.

The road to this particular place was also equally beautiful, winding through a tiny and colourful village with bright colourful houses that are so typical of South India. As we drove on, we came across local women selling fresh food by the road or walking herd of goats by the side. The closer we got the temple, the more serene it felt. The temple construction hasn't finished yet and is perhaps the reason why it hasn't attracted many visitors. 

A funny theme I've seen emerging from my trips is that more often than not, what I love most are the places that don't make it to the travel brochures and the experiences that aren't on every 'must do' list. I urge you to take this opportunity and visit it before completion for a most serene and picture perfect experience.

You Might Also Like

4 comments

  1. Oh wow, this temple looks amazing! Beautiful photos!

    http://roadesque.com
    http://ourruins.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. These photos are just incredible, I hope to visit it soon! Thanks a lot for sharing :)

    Check out my blog if you want: www.theglamandglitter.com

    Tamara xxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. This temple is beautiful and is located in such a pretty area! Wonderful photos! Both stories about the temple are so interesting!

    Danielle
    www.spring2spring.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, the photos are amazing! I love the straight on shot of the main structure with the symmetry. I totally agree that the places off the beaten path are usually the most beautiful. I always tend to wander away from touristy spots and explore on my own whenever I visit new countries.
    xo
    N
    Style Tomes | Style Tomes on Instagram

    ReplyDelete